Somerset East Golf Club (9)

Somerset East featured.

Green Fees


On Course

Course Policy

Open Mondays

Visitors welcome everyday

Course Rating


Contact Details

Tel: +27 42 243 3993

Physical Address

Bestershoek, Somerset East, Eastern Cape, South Africa


Oak trees, white-washed buildings, mountain streams and waterfalls: A charming town bathed in history. After successful plantations begun by trekboer Willem Prinsloo near Bruintjieshoogte at what was the eastern boundary of the Cape Colony, Governor Lord Charles Somerset decided to produce fodder for the horses of the eastern frontier cavalry.

A village named for him was established in 1825, and today Angora goat farming, citrus and dairy products form the infrastructure of this beautiful area at the foot of the Bosberg Mountains.


The Georgian House

At the foot of the Bosberg, stands serenely amongst tall indigenous trees and has magnificent rose gardens.

Somerset East Museum

Shortly after the establishment of the town, land on the slopes of the Bosberg was given to the Wesleyan missionaries for a chapel and a graveyard. The chapel was completed and consecrated in 1828, but the building and surrounding land was transferred to the Dutch Reformed Church a few years later and in 1835 the chapel was converted into a parsonage.

Walter Battiss Gallery

Run by his family as a temperance hotel until 1914, it now functions as a gallery housing works executed by its gentle country son. The Walter Battiss art gallery was originally built in 1818 and served as an officers’ mess on “Somerset Farm”.

National Monument

This property was one of three dwellings to be declared a national monument in October 1983. Granted to one Robert Robinson, the lot was one of the first to be allocated immediately after the founding of the town Somerset, in April 1825.

Langenhoven Library

This was the forerunner to the Somerset Public Library and in 1903, the plot where the Library now stands, was bought for twenty five pounds. In 1973 it became known as the Langenhoven Library.

Delville Wood monument

On the island in Nojoli Street, honours Somersetters of all races, whose lives were claimed by the Second World War.

Andries Vosloo Monument

Previously Administrator of the Cape and a true Somersetter, is honoured by the Provincial Hospital which bears his name.


From Port Elizabeth travel on the N1 towards Cradock and turn-off onto the R63 towards Somerset East. Once in the town, from Njoli Street, turn right and at the old age home turn left and continue for 2kms along the gravel road (there will be signs for Bestershoek Camping Site). The club is on the gravel road.

Disclaimer: Please re-confirm rates when making a booking. All rates are subject to change.